The force that holds different atoms in a molecule is called a chemical bond. A chemical bond is a lasting attraction between atoms, ions, or molecules that enables the formation of chemical compounds. In general, strong chemical bonding is associated with the sharing or transfer of electrons between the participating atoms. The bond may result from the electrostatic force of attraction between oppositely charged ions as in ionic bonds or through the sharing of electrons as in covalent bonds. The strength of chemical bonds varies considerably; there are "strong bonds" or "primary bonds" such as covalent, ionic, and metallic bonds, and "weak bonds" or "secondary bonds" such as dipole-dipole interactions, the London dispersion force, and hydrogen bonding. Let's know more about Chemical Bonds in Compounds.
1. The hybridization of the central atom will change when:
A. NH₃ combines with H+
B. H₃BO₃ combines with OHˉ
C. NH₃ forms NHˉ₂
D. H₂O combines with H+
2. During the complete combustion of methane CH₄, what change in hybridization does the carbon atom undergo?
A. Sp³ to Sp
B. Sp³ to Sp²
C. Sp² to Sp
D. Sp² to Sp³
3. The geometry of ammonia can be best described as :
A. Nitrogen at one vertex of a regular tetrahedron, the other three vertices being occupied by the three hydrogens
B. Nitrogen at the center of the tetrahedron, three of the vertices being occupied by three hydrogens
C. Nitrogen at the center of an equilateral, three corners being occupied by three hydrogens
D. Nitrogen at the junction of a T, three open ends being occupied by three hydrogen
4. Which of the following has the largest bond angle:
B. F ₂O
5. Among the oxides of nitrogen, N₂O, NO, and NO₂, molecules with unpaired electrons are:
A. N₂O and NO
B. NO and NO₂
C. N₂O and NO₂
D. NO₂ and its dimer
6. The magnitude of the lattice energy of a solid increase if...
A. The ions are large
B. The ions are small
C. The ions are of equal size
D. Charges on the ions are small
7. Which of the following bond is strongest?
8. The percentage of s-character in the hybrid orbitals sp, sp², and sp³ follow the pattern...
9. The electronegativities of F, Cl, Br, l are 4.0, 3.0, 2.8, 2.5 respectively. The hydrogen halide with the highest percentage of ionic character is...
10. Which of the following compounds of elements in group IV is expected to be most ionic?
11. The least melting point is shown by the compound-...
12. The maximum covalency is equal to (excluding 1st and 2nd period)...
A. The number of unpaired p-electrons
B. The number of paired d-electrons
C. The number of unpaired s and p-electrons
D. The actual number of s and p-electrons in the outermost shell
Drop your comment here...