It would be an overstatement to say that everyone is familiar with the stories of Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm (1785–1863) and Wilhelm Carl Grimm (1786–1859). In addition to collecting German and European folk tales that embody authentic, pure German spirit, they were also among the first and best known of their kind. Cinderella is one of their most popularized tales. As well as participating in liberal politics, both brothers also promoted freedom of the press. Their sincere efforts were aimed at uprooting French rule over their culture as a threat.
1. The Grimm brothers' tales reflected traditional _________ and beliefs.
2. Who were the Grimm brothers?
A. Jacob and Wilhelm
B. Lars and John
C. Friedrich and Anton
D. Anton and Wilhelm
3. What country was the Brothers Grimm from?
B. United States
4. What was the original title for the brothers' collection?
A. Nursery and household tale
B. Tales of wonder and imagination
C. Children’s and Household Tales
D. A Golden Treasury
5. What was a formative turning point in the brothers' lives?
A. Their sister was kidnapped.
B. Their father died.
C. Their home buried down.
D. They met with an accident.
6. When was Children’s and Household Tale was published?
A. 20 December, 1812
B. 20 December, 1804
C. 20 December, 1809
D. 20 December, 1807
7. How many fairy tales were in the collection?
8. How many stories were in the second collection, which was published in 1815?
9. Which edition of "Grimm's Fairy Tales" is best known today?
10. When did brothers Grimm begin to be interested in folktales?
A. when they were in university
B. when they were kids
C. after they graduated from university
D. when they got their first jobs
11. The moral behind every story: Work hard, be good and listen to your ____________.
12. Many of their early tales were a little _____________?
Drop your comment here...